Extracts from the letter sent to CMWSSB, Fire Department
We, the residents of the Swathi Maruti Apartments, situated at No. 17/7, 12th Cross Street, Sastri Nagar, wish to bring to your kind attention ONCE AGAIN, the harmful activities being undertaken by a commercial kitchen – which has been recently set up at No. 15 (new) /6/1 (old), 12th Cross Street, Sastri Nagar.
The said cloud kitchen /commercial kitchen adjoins our residential apartment. Its activities, in good measure, are:
- Dumping food, raw material, vegetables etc. in untreated form into the main drainage, causing overflow of sewage on a daily basis onto the residential road and posing a serious health hazard to residents;
- Commencing commercial activities at 4 am in the morning and finishing at 9.30 pm, the noise pollution disturbs the peace and tranquillity in the area;
- Causing air and sound pollution due to commercial cooking on a large- scale basis;
- Blocking the residential road by parking large vehicles for transportation of food and raw materials.
- In addition to above, the food waste attracts cockroaches, rats and other pests which can lead to serious health issues.
We learn that the food factory produces about 3000 meals every day and there are 20 to 30 people living in the same premises. The cloud kitchen uses industrial blowers and 40 huge cooking gas cylinders of 24/40 Kgs each. The massive sound from the industrial blowers, the cleaning of vessels around 4 am causes grave inconvenience to seniors, who are over 95.
We have sent many complaints to CMWSSB and Corporation of Chennai but the problems still continue. There is also no indication as to whether such a commercial kitchen is operating under a valid FSSAI licence, or is compliant with other applicable laws.
The residents of 12th Cross Street have been patiently waiting to stop the overflow of drainage on our street.